Friday, May 1, 2009

Confessions of a moody knit-o-holic

Ok, so I typed up the pattern all nice and lovely with knitting term definitions (as in what I exactly mean when I say "seed stitch" and "psso" because you would not believe how some patterns ASSUME (and we know what ASSUME stands for) the reader knows what they are talking about), headers, footers, and row by row instructions and even saved it in pdf form. Then, I got on here and for the life of me could not figure out how in the world to get a link from my blog to the pdf pattern. Trying to keep my cool, and really not wanting to retype everything in the blog window, I tried to cut-and-paste. No dice. It would go in all nice and pretty but when I hit the button to "post" it send me a "does not compute" message with "error" in red and all my typing was suddenly in computer-ese.

Any suggestions on what to do? I would like to have a link to my pattern rather than a post. If posting is my only option, so be it. I'll wait until I have more time and will type it in.

I delivered the hats today. She loved it and they looked great on her. Felt good to move those along...

I started working on the Muppet wig (LMSS's baby blanket) this morning. I sort of forgot that with lace you have to make a note on where you are at in the pattern because sometimes you can't figure it out by just looking at it. Good thing was I was on the row where you purl the whole way and there was a post-it marking what I had done before that so it was fairly simple to pick back up.

Last night I decided to start on Hunky Hubby's sweater. I had promised him. I had already bought all the possible sizes of 32" circular needles I might need to get gauge so I sat down and tried to get gauge. The pattern was British so it took a little reading and converting but basically the gauge needed to be 7 sts per 1" and they were calling for US#3 (they gave the UK size but I don't remember it; I have a book for those kind of conversions anyway.) My stitch is fairly loose and I ALWAYS have to go a size smaller on needles (2 sizes actually, unless I'm knitting with cotton or double points) so I tried the US#1. Result: 5.5 sts per inch. Ok, so the US#0 (me slightly cringing at the idea of doing a sweater in US#0; I'll do it for Hubby but I'm not usually that masochistic). Result: only 6 sts per inch. I sat there and looked at everything. Was I willing to see if there are US#00s or [gasp] #0000s in 32" circular needles? Was I willing to knit a MAN's sweater, the man in subject being very basic in his tastes and ONLY WANTING STOCKINETTE TO BE THE STITCH? Think of that, #0000 needles, size medium mens, stockinette stitch SWEATER.

Nope. I couldn't think of it. I decided this just wasn't do-able, apologized to Hubby, put everything away for future reference (LMSS, you are getting the men's sweater pattern book; your stitch is tighter than mine), and am still on the hunt for Hubby's sweater. The yarn I had picked out would still work (light weight (DK, I think), dark grayish, acrylic/polymide, something that would keep him warm but not be heavy at all; he's VERY warm natured) but I think I just have to wait for the right pattern. One with at most 6 sts per inch. Here's to hope!

No comments: