Thursday, June 18, 2009

SOCKS!

I had to post these, even though they are a gift for LMSS. I had the best time with this yarn. It was discount priced at Michael's ($1 a skein!!! Caution or throw it to the wind? Hmmm...) I wasn't sure how it would knit or turn out, but I'm so easily amused the color changes kept me greatly entertained; the colors knitted look TOTALLY different from the way they looked on the skein. The yarn itself makes me suspect that it might felt a little if thrown in the dryer so no dryer. I don't know anyone who throws hand-knitted socks in the dryer anyway, except maybe me when I'm not paying attention. On the pattern, I adjusted how many stitches to decrease to on the toe: I did 16 total (so the stitch count was 4, 8, 4 on the double points) instead of the 8 the pattern called for (2, 4, 2). I suspect the pattern called to go down that far so the knitter didn't have to practice the Kitchener Stitch for very long. I don't mind the Kitchener Stitch and I like a wider, less pointy toe, so this worked out nicely.

I had told LMSS about the color combination and how it wasn't our usual RED!/YELLOW!/ORANGE! choices for socks. I had hoped it would be ok and she said it was because she needed some more socially acceptable hand-knit socks. These are mostly socially acceptable; notice I did rebel slightly and not match the stripes. :) Such a wild life I have...

No comments: