Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Up on the date

I'm waiting for a landman to get here and sign some stuff so that I can, yet again, have more stuff to do, so meanwhile I'm going to blog.

In the previous blog I mentioned the interesting things my daughter tells me. About 6 months ago, one morning while getting ready for work, she told me she wanted me to take a shower so that I would look pretty. In fact, prettiness has been a big thing lately, like how pretty is she, is she pretty, and will she stay pretty, all this being said while she twirls around as only almost 5 year olds can do. The other day she said something else to me and I can't remember what it was. When I do, I'll tell you. Hopefully it does happen.

I've been working on several different things:

1) socks for LMSS. It feels so good to be working on socks again! They are so satisfying and gratifying as you work through the different steps. I had finally decided I was ready to start on another pair, who cares how much I'm working on already. I was digging through my sock yarn stash and remembered I owed LMSS a pair because she gave me some sock yarn. I found the perfect colors and started knitting. Heaven.

2) sweater for Hunky Hubby. Totally doing the pattern on my own with EZ's Knitting Without Tears by my side. Hubby is excited about it. I did double up the yarn; it's still on #2 circs but much more workable and feels fabulous. However, it does take a while, so so far I've only completed 1.5" of ribbing for the bottom and another 0.5" of stockinette. 2" down, twenty-something" to go!

3) balled the yarn for my cabled sweater. That was an adventure. I left the kids with Hubby and hauled all 6 skeins to the yarn shop to innocently work on her ball winder. Thank goodness one of the regulars was there and she noticed the yarn I was attempting to begin winding. It's hand-dyed cotton, really lovely, but a booger to wind because it has a mind, and tangles, of it's own. She helped me get started and held the skein on both hands while I wound; the adjustable frame was out of the question. An hour later, and one 15 minute mess that stretched across half the shop, we were finished and I had nice neat balls of yarn. I also stayed and helped her wind 2 skeins together to at least repay her partly for all her help.

4) the green/blue lacey scarf which totally changed it's pattern on me. I had a picture to put up of it but I really was getting bored with the pattern. Like so bored I wasn't even torturing myself working on it. I looked at the latest Yarn Forward magazine, found a much better pattern, frogged the old and am a fourth of the way through the new. It looks lots better, even though I think the pattern was more for wool or something more like that instead of mercerized cotton. I still like it though. When finished it'll be my first lace blocking so we'll see how that goes.

5) cross-stitch for M-i-l. I'm liking it ok but I am not a cross-stitcher.

6) queen-sized afghan for AAnt. It's actually going to be fun because it's crochet so doesn't take as long, and I'm getting the chance to use up those odd, random skeins of acrylic I still have hanging around. Stash buster bonanza. I'm even in the process of frogging an old striped afghan that I couldn't stand (it was buried in the linen closet) to use in it.

7) LMSS's baby blanket... which I'm sad to say hasn't been happening. It will soon. Somehow.

No comments: