Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Debbie Bliss' "Rabbit with Sweater"

Here is the adorable little bunny I was dying to find a reason to knit. I found one and in the process am going to have to knit each of my children one (Valentine's Day presents!) and one for my niece (when she's old enough to not chew on it; it is chenille!). I unofficially name it Floppy for the cute ears, not in any reference to Black Adder.

The pattern is from Debbie Bliss' knitting magazine Spring/Summer 2009 listed in the table of contents as "Once Upon a Time". I totally did not use her recommended fiber because I was using this as a stash buster for the chenille I used on my "Anyone For a Shrubbery" hat (which the pattern will be posted here sometime in the future; trying to figure out how to with Blogspot). It worked beautifully as one because there isn't much needed. I tried to get as close to gauge as possible but didn't worry too much since this isn't going to be worn by anyone, just loved! I DID have to make sure the sweater fit the bunny because that was an important gauge to follow, or at least to make sure it was to the right ratio.

I don't think I attached the head quite right; the bunny stares straight up. I left it because that means it can smile into the lucky child's face when the child is hugging it and will never be tumped flat on it's face when it falls over.

Only took 2 full evenings and a morning to knit. It was well worth it, especially when Little Guy loved it so much he was carrying it around, hugging it and tossing it with all his blocks only to pick it up and hug it some more. This is a boy who sleeps with a baseball in one hand and a marble in the other only when he can't find his plush football!

2 comments:

The Lorax said...

This bunny is adorable! Your niece would love love love one... or at least your sister would!

suzylee28 said...

You should have told me you wanted one too! She'll definitely get one. What color do you want?

Oh, and bring that knitted stuffed animals book when you come in town if you don't have any plans for it. I think I might be hooked.