Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The lastest addition

So far my plans are working. Doesn't look as nice and neat because the angle on one side is different from the other but hopefully by the next corner I've got it. I'm almost through with one corner (about to turn Sgt. Cribb back on and work away) and the verdict will be made at that time.

I now have a little friend living on my kitchen counter. It's a sourdough yeast starter. It's really a fairly large friend because it's in a big jar. I showed it to Hubby, said "It's alive" and he looked at me partially in wonderment (I hope) and partially in disbelief (probably more like it) that I would take on another living thing that requires attention, feeding, and care. Right now it's happy, bubbly, and I have to stir it once for 4-7 days. Then it will be old enough to use in my bread recipes. I'm watching it to make sure it doesn't turn purple. Apparently if it does that, it's gone rogue and must be done away with.

Speaking of bread, my fabulous family, I have made a REALLY GOOD bread using pumpkin and other yummy spices like nutmeg, honey, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. It doesn't taste like pumpkin at all and the spices only add a hint of sweet loveliness so it's a slightly sweet, moist bread that still can be eaten with dinner, not necessarily as dessert. It reminds me of those really good rolls they made when I was really little in elementary school, pre-3rd grade. I hope all of you have as fond a memory of those rolls! Expect it at the holidays!

No comments: