Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Heart-Shaped World


Saturday went to the theme of Picture #1. I was so excited I had finished projects I started another: all on my own pattern, no guide. I had been wanting to practice knitting/purling so that a shape is formed in the article and what better way than a dishcloth? I've been needing new dishcloths/towels and I've been very disappointed in my storebought ones. I just can't find better ones than what I knit out of cotton yarn. They are absorbant, scrub wonderfully, and are so cute! They also don't fray after 6 months. :( The others discloths I knitted were more on the theme of functionality (and practicing knitting on a bias; thanks for that pattern, Snakewoman!) so they aren't as exciting to look at as this one. This one was for the Valentine-y feeling that still lingers around our house (it's SuperGirl's new favorite holiday) and I have written the pattern down along with lots of notes on what to do better next time. I love it when I have time to do that and the project is not something for someone else!

Picture #2 was Sunday's theme when I showed the heart dishcloth to SuperGirl and she said "Oh Mommy, I just wanted the heart. Cut all that other stuff off." I explained to her that the "other stuff" couldn't be cut off because the rectangle shape actually served a purpose and that isn't advisable with knitting anyway (unless you read about Fair Isle patterns) but that got me thinking: could I knit a heart? I've been knitting lots of things, why not hearts? So I sat down and started knitting, writing down what I did as I went. The boys (Hubby's brother-in-law and my younger brother) were over playing a board game and while I played the 4th person (not a strategic threat but still vital because providing additional action to the game... and taking up space to work around) and knitted at the same time. SuperGirl "borrowed" the dishcloth to keep her dolls warm while I worked on the "Heart Only" blanket (apparently SuperGirl's dolls really needed a heart-shaped blanket, too) and I finished about the time the game finished. SuperGirl was thrilled and all dolls are warmer for the effort.

I've been working more on the funky sweater. It's now to the point that I've joined the front to the back under the armpits and am working in the round. I've also been crocheting that hat for the Class Aide and it's taking FOREVER. I've decided I'm out of practice in crochet and am not sure if I like knitting better or just prefer it for certain things.

(note the quality of the pictures up top! I have gotten the digital camera on-line and can now use it! Yay!)

No comments: