Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weekend separation

The quilt is being quilted at the moment. I've decided October is my month to finish it and starting in Novemeber it will be Christmas presents only. Well, not exactly be quilted on at the moment. It's been put up for a rest over the weekend because we had company last night and I realized that in the fervor of getting things knitted/sewed for Christmas, etc. I had totally neglected housework and other responsibilities and things were not acceptable for a friend to come show us our new boyfriend over dinner. So I put the quilt up and cleaned.

It actually worked out for the best because the quilt and I were starting to have issues. It's totally me, I admit. I had finished quilting the middle part with all the blocks and got really excited because that means I'm almost finished, right? Um, WRONG. I spread the quilt out on the table, stenciled in the lovely little pattern for the yellow stripe, pondered over what to do for the red, and totally knew what I was going to do for the blue. Imagine me humming a clever little tune, thinking how nice it will be to have it on my bed within the week, binding cut and sewn on, lovely. Then I put it back on the quilt rack and realized that it wasn't oh, the 12 inches wide my brain was thinking. It was about 20-22''. It takes up most of the space on my rack and that means at least 2 hours each square. Bummer.

I got a little aggravated but started stitching, thinking I could work through it, trying to ignore a sock project calling to me from it's bag saying "Hey, I'M almost finished! You can work on me and to heck with that quilt! Your husband is hot natured anyway and I'm not for him! One more gift to cross off on your list!" But I still stitched away, getting more and more aggravated that this project wasn't going to be over as quickly as I thought. Finally, it was too late to grumble anymore, I had tons of things to do the next day that required me to have a full nights rest ( like, CLEAN), so I put it up and away, hoping that the weekend break would work to get me revved up to work on it next week and not 6 months from now. Or even 2 years from now. It's happened before.

I'm glad to say that it's only Saturday night and I'm starting to get excited about working on it again and totally understand that it's going to take 2 more weeks. I'm going to cherish the experience and do everything right, or at least remind myself that that's what I'm doing because things that are rushed aren't done correctly. I'm also glad to say that I'm leaving the quilt alone until Monday so I WILL finish that sock and there will be one more gift crossed off the list. I'm down to the last 3-4 inches on the mate. I owe it to it. It's been so patient through car pools and doctor appointments.

By the way, finally saw a cardiologist. Nothing is wrong. Everything is working fine. More great, fantabulous news.