Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A field of color

And now presenting the scarf for the nephew. It is crocheted width-wise, chaining in the blue until I had my length (roughly 2 yds since he is only 5 but I would like him to have the option to continue wearing it as he grows), with the end of each row leaving 5-6 inches of tail to have instant fringe when I finish, and single/double crocheting wherever I wanted in whatever color I wanted until it was balanced and wide as I wanted it. A great project to finish on the way home from Baton Rouge (took a little over 4 hours) and the crocheting was a great way to help massage my sore hand muscles from the frantic sock knitting. I had never thought I could get lactic acid build-up from knitting...

As for the Christmas project update, another sock ambition bit the dust and the person is getting a dishcloth instead. The dishcloth is a color I love (red) in a pattern I love (Debbie Bliss is amazing in her design; highly recommend her dishcloth pattern in her Spring/Summer 2009 magazine) and I'm nearly finished with it. I think she'll appreciate it over the socks, even though she had requested the socks 6 months ago. This will make an unexpected surprise and she'll still get her socks one day. Mother's Day maybe? (it's not you, Mom, as you know since I brought the dishcloth to knit at your house.)

Anyway, once I made that executive decision I felt tons better and finished the socks for my niece gladly, putting the sock knitting supplies away for another sock hiatus while I tackle the baby gifts that were next on my "to knit" list. That means the Christmas presents will be finished before Christmas Eve and I can go back to knitting at a slower pace. Well, maybe not. I'm still pretty depressed and project-hyper but that should work to my advantage. These gifts are for babies that have already been born so I'm late getting them finished anyway and even if I decide to avoid them and do something completely different (as long as it's stuff I already own, nothing new bought), things are still getting finished and there isn't a deadline to those that are on the list. Well, there is but who's counting? The older the babies get the more they'll appreciate it anyway and the gift really should be for them, not the mother, right? Hah, who am I kidding, but it should be like that.


No comments: