Monday, December 14, 2009

Never again... until next time

This weekend was an interesting one. Great trip, wonderful seeing Hubby's older sister and family, and they enjoyed their presents. Only one present took A LOT LONGER than it should have and I was worried I'd have to stop at a convenience store to save my skin.

It might have been the setbacks because my family had to eat, thus I had to cook, thus 1-2 hours were subtracted from the "knitting time" allotted. It might have been the numerous times doing all the little things for the laundry and the kids, again subtracting knitting time. It could have been the Friday night supper with one friend invited over ended up a dinner party. So the sock which should have been finished Friday night was still a work-in-progress not only during the whole 4 hour trip to see them but the 2.75 hours we visited. I feverishly knit the whole way down, feeling my shoulders getting closer and closer to my ears, wrapped the finished sock when we pulled into their driveway, handed it to her saying "Merry Christmas. Here's the first half and excuse me while I finish the second half in your living room."

There was a posting on the Yarn Harlots Page-a-Day calendar this past week about unrealistic deadlines and for some reason the closer the deadline, the more in denial we get about REALLY, how long does this thing take and if we just concentrate harder, we can get it done in a fraction of the time. I should have taped the thing to my forehead.

All I asked for was to not have to take the socks back home and mail it the next day. Thank goodness I didn't and above is the picture of her modeling them. They turned out great and her son was REALLY interested in them and how warm they were. (Apparently he is always wearing her socks.) She ran off to hide these after I snapped the picture and I am thinking about a gift for him next year. He hunts and even here in southern Louisiana it gets cold out there in the deer stand. Hmmm... camo? High enough to line the boot legs? At least I have a year to figure it out.

The ride home I celebrated by looking at the knitting books they gave me for Christmas and crocheted a scarf requested by one of Hubby's 5 year old nephews. I can't turn down a personal request, especially when he knows the colors and design he wants. It turned out really cute and masculine, something I was deliberately trying to do because he wanted the colors of the rainbow and there are some family members who wouldn't take too kindly to a gay pride scarf.

In the meantime, I've dwindled my Christmas projects left down to 3: 2 socks and 1 purse. The purse is cut out so I'll finish that today and the socks have at least 4 days EACH to finish. No more of this 3 day maximum thing. Next time I WILL do a mercy run to the convenience store.

2 comments:

Liz Shively said...

How about double-layer hunting socks: camo on one side, reversible to blaze orange? Too bad nobody's invented a fabric that's highly visible to human eyes but not at all to the eyes of the deer.

I'm only hand-knitting ONE Christmas present: socks for my mom. (That way she'll be one of the cool kids at the big gathering, with her own pair of hand-knit socks.) It's taken me since before Thanksgiving to make them. Granted, I took a huge break for that *&#*%&! baby blanket, and a few more days to recover from said baby blanket. And I've also taken breaks to work slowly on a shawl, and to read... Anyhow, it's to the kitchener stitch stage. I finished one sock while very tired, after having done no kitchener stitches for the past 5-6 months. Bad idea. Waiting for an alert moment to finish off the second sock and redo the end of the first.

I hope you enjoy finishing up the rest of the projects with a bit less time pressure! I'll look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor in another week or two!

suzylee28 said...

That was quite the baby blanket. I would love to hear about where the pattern came from and how you knitted it when you come in town. Speaking of that, we are all looking forward to seeing both of you! I love the holidays!

Good luck on your sock!