Wednesday, February 17, 2010

at SuperGirl's request

SuperGirl had asked me back during Christmas why I hadn't knitted her any socks. I reminded her of the conversation we had 6 months previous where I asked if she wanted anything and she said "No thanks, Mommy. I have plenty knitted things." She said "Well, now I want some socks."

Regia brand sock yarn, really fun to knit, toe-up (trying to write a basic pattern with help from a book), kid size, short row heel (which I'd never done and like; I maybe still prefer the heel flap version but this went quick) on circular needles. This is the first sock and I'm going to start the second one tonight once I stop getting distracted by my sewing machine (but I made another really great schlep bag for Mom!)

I'm really liking the socks on circulars. My laddering issues are almost nil as long as I'm paying attention to it at the needle breaks and it seems to go faster because less needle transistions (I'm guessing). It's really easy to use with regular double point patterns too because the Needles #1 and 3 are now all on one of the sides (when knitting with a circular you have only the top foot side and bottom foot side). I also solved my "ssk" issue with the socks. Instead of "knitting 2 through the back" like I had read somewhere to do or "slipping 2 individually knitwise and knitting them through the back" like my sock book said it's (and pay attention because I love the way it looks, it truly mirrors the "k2tog") "slip one knitwise, slip one purlwise, knit them both through the back." I have celebrated by changing my normal sock knitting pattern and go telling it on the mountain. Yippee.

No comments: