Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Cold hands, warm heart

Little Guy has decided his hands are cold and is warming them by shoving them all the way up my sleeves. This makes typing interesting...

I have been trying to knit. It's been going ok. The sweater's 13 some-odd inches of seed stitch was getting boring so I decided to start the sleeves. Now it has some seed stitch and some sleeves and my pattern has post-it notes with A LOT of tally marks with titles so I know which part the tally marks go. I'll take a picture when I get around to it and if I feel people could tell what it is considering it's all different colors and has more pointy needle bits than customary.

The crochet hat has been a disaster so far. SuperGirl looked at it yesterday and gave me an amused look, saying, "Mommy, I don't think Ms. Ashley's head is that big." If a 4 year-old verifies the very thing I was wondering myself, it's time to make a change. It was starting to look like a basket, or at least a chenielle pet bed. Stitch gauge was fine, it was the row gauge that was off. The pattern doesn't have deminsions for the different parts of the hat though. What to do? I frogged the whole thing and am trying to come up with a way to knit it and make it look like crochet. Or least have patterned holes. Strategic yarn-overs sound like the thing. Now to measure Ms. Ashley's head...

I have decided crocheting is for blankets, knitting is for garments, and crocheting chenielle is heinous. It sticks to itself like crazy! I'm not sure how knitting it will be but I'm willing to take the chance that it will be only annoying enough that I will want to get it over with, thus have the hat finished in a week.

By the way, landman conferences are great for writing knitting patterns. Not only did I get a little scene planned using different stitches (sort of cross-stitch idea using stockinette as the "empty space" stitch) I took the shrug I was wearing off and figured the pattern for that too.

No comments: