Thursday, March 12, 2009

The life aquatic

I'm down to one skein left on the sweater. I think I'll finish today (fingers crossed tightly, hoping the knitting gods haven't heard that and feel like smiting someone soon), especially since I've already finished what I needed to do with work, am waiting on Ph-i-l to arrive with more to finish, and it is raining. Not only is it raining, it's 40-something degrees outside here where it was 80 degrees only 2-3 days ago. Everything is budding, my cat was frisking about in the sunshine, and then this came through. I have a weather hang-over, a grumpy cat, and a perfect excuse to stay in and watch more of the movies I've taped on our DVR.

Speaking of DVR, marvelous invention, that is. We have tv channels TCM and IFC and I've been watching those movies (uncut, uncensored) I've always heard about but would never think to rent. In the past month I've seen "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (Paul Newman... sigh), "The Three Faces of Eve" (Paul Newman's wife, Joanne Woodward, got an Oscar for it; she is amazing in it; spooky movie/situation), "Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" (which is Wes Anderson and I TOTALLY watch all his, rent, own Criterion Collections, watch again, discuss, tell everyone they need to watch them even when they are the generic action-flick kind, and buy the soundtracks, it just so happens I don't have this one. Did I tell you I LOVE Wes Anderson's movies? And Bill Murray?), "The Black Hole" (totally freaky, NOT for kids), "Carnal Knowledge" (do I need to say anything? Art Garfunkel and Jack Nicholson as immature men trying to figure out sex and women. And they get everything wrong even though Art Garfunkel's character is more sympathetic. The women don't help out their problem, though. See Candice Bergen, Ann-Margret, Rita Moreno, and a flash of Carol Kane (she keeps her clothes on though). By the guy who did "The Graduate", came out in 1971), and "The Cat's Meow" (Eddie Izzard is a really good actor. And I could actually stand Kirsten Dunst in this one). Now, what does movies have to do with knitting, I am asking myself... Ah, yes. I knit to it. And the PBS mysteries but they are in fund-raising right now and not on their regularly scheduled programming.

So anyway, I have "Moonstruck" still on DVR, waiting on me, but Hubby wanted to watch that with me so it'll have to wait. "Tootsie" was really good, by the way. Saw that one a few months ago. The other few that really stand out as FABULOUS was "Harold and Maude" (did you know Bud Cort's in "Life Aquatic..." ? He's the bank insurance (or something like that) stooge who has to go on the expedition) and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Headed home for a shower and sleepy baby...

2 comments:

Liz Shively said...

Thank you--I'd been trying (off and on) to remember the name of that odd movie with Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel. "Carnal Knowledge." Yep. Weird.

This past week was spring break for me, so I've been making good progress in knitting. Nearly done with the tank top that I thought would take till summer of 2010! While knitting, I've been watching Monty Python, Sherlock Holmes, and "The Fog of War" (which was fascinating, even riveting). I could use a spring break every month!

suzylee28 said...

You're very welcome! Yes, very odd. When it ended I was still going "huh?" but not because of the movie, necessarily.

I agree about the Spring Break and I'm so glad you had that opportunity! It's a shame we can't get paid and just knit all the time. How's the tank top?