Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gotta have that funk


I have had the best time with this. This is officially my first project using for real cables and I can't believe how funkadelically gorgeous it has turned out. I got to turn on Parliment for this one. And the fact that it's for a sweet, three-kid mom makes me love it even more. All I have left to knit is the rest of the bill that folds up so a piece of plastic mesh can fit inside; what you're seeing is what will be on the inside of the bill. The right side is stockinette. (this is the newsboy hat from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation done in a Bernat worsted afghan yarn in varigated colors.)

The girl it's for is about my age, has three kids that have all gone through SuperGirl's preschool program, and is an aide for the preschool. She's beautiful, blonde, thin, graceful, impeccable dresser, and the sweetest thing to everyone. SuperGirl adores her and I've gotten to know her through the different things at the school. One morning she was wearing a crocheted hat in a similar style to this (no cables though) while working carpool and I commented on it. She said she bought it at Target and absolutely loved it, it was so warm. A week later she saw me in carpool again and lamented the fact that she had lost it. Later that day I got the inspiration and offered to knit her a new one and asked what color she wanted. She named off lots of colors (my kind of girl!) but purple, blue, and green seemed most prominent. I asked SuperGirl what color she wanted and she said purple. She went with me to the store to find the yarn. That was exciting because she was picking out the hottest, brightest, pinkest purples EVER and I had to explain the art of finding colors the person receiving the project would want, not the colors the person making the project wants. SuperGirl seemed to understand but she still pointed out all the brightest, hottest colors.

I should finish it tomorrow and get back to Marilyn's socks and my sweater. Hubby now thinks I need a hat like this; it would be cute. I don't know. He even recommended red. He never says red. Hmmm...

No comments: