Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Figures and configures

Succeeded in getting up at 6am and calling the pils (parents-in-law; NOT intentional on meaning! :) ). Phil was rather surprised with the phone call but excited. Little Guy noticed I was up so he got up too and we both took the sweater across the street. Phil and Mil loved it and Phil put the sweater on right away. It washed beautifully; the washing brought out the "satin" part of the yarn that was advertised on the label (Bernat Satin Sport) and I had washed it in a lingerie bag so there wasn't a chance of it pilling. I did make a mental note that when I do my gauge for any other projects make sure it's a little smaller than what it calls for or just go a size smaller in the pattern because it seems that no matter what my gauge measures, the object still comes out a little big.
Phil is wearing the sweater on their chilly flight and I'm excited. Excited because I finished another project and excited because he likes it. Now to finish "sock"s mate and my friend's shrug I promised her.
I don't think I've told you about that project. I have a friend that I've known since college who I do sewing for; anytime she needs something fixed or altered she puts it in a stack and calls me when the stack gets big enough. Well, about 2-3 years ago she was watching tv and saw a shrug/wrap/short poncho that she wanted me to find a pattern for so I could sew her one. I couldn't find it because it had to be fitted and shorter than customary. I'm sure if I was feeling creative then I could have whipped something out but she's fairly particular and I wanted it to be right; I knew what she wanted and I wasn't going to settle for anything else or make adjustments to what was wrong in the first place. The project stayed in the back of my mind and lo and behold I got into knitting, started collecting the "Stitch and Bitch" books, and in Stitch and Bitch Nation there is a short, close-fitting poncho/shrug in 2 versions that can also be worn as a short skirt, depending on which choice you make. Or just wear tights for the version with the lace pattern down each side. (whatever makes you happy) It's done all-in-one piece with worsted yarn and has a little funky part on one version where you put intentional diagonal holes across the hip, like it was ripped. This is SO my friend and I called her up, excited, telling her in August I got her Christmas present. She was surprised, happy, and told me purple for the color. Now that I finished the sweater I can work on this! It's on #0 Addi turbo circular needles (to get gauge; my stitch is that loose) so that should make it adventurous. Thank goodness I've had the practice on the #00 double points for "Sock."
I was thinking this morning while walking back to my house on how much these things would cost if we tried to sell our knitted items. The truely hand-knitted clothing, not machine knitted. Not that I'm knocking machine knitting. I've never done it but if I had to get something done quick I'm sure that would be the way to go. I'd rather knit for the process and give my stuff away but right now I'm nursing a baby and in the evening it's my personal time activity. That might change if I have to start cranking out several blankets, scarves, and/or sweaters. I don't see that happening here but never say never.
But anyway, the truely hand-knitted things. First, there's the cost of the materials and if any needles need to be bought. I buy Addi's so that's on the more expensive side to begin with (the Cadillacs of knitting needles; they are amazing. Susan Bates I am so sorry). If the yarn is more on the quality side you have to account for that up in price and how much you need. Then there's the TIME INVOLVED. I started Phil's sweater at the end of August. The materials were $40 for the yarn (I got lucky) but $75 for the needles (I needed all new sizes (#4 & #5) and 2 different lengths for each size; thank goodness I only needed one 40 in. #5 needle and already had the 16 in. #4 and #5s. For time I worked at least 2 hours a day for 5 days per week (average) so for 5 days a week for 9 weeks that's 45 days, times that by 2 that is 90 hours. The real time is more or less (probably around 80, truthfully, but who's counting the time when knitting?) but even if you do 80 hours by $10 an hour that's $800! Say only $5 per hour that's still $400!!! That's a $500 sweater, at least! Even if you own the needles at the start.
Whoa.

No comments: