Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sun, sun, sunny day Sunday

Still working on the yoke of Phil's (father-in-law: f-i-l in case you don't remember) sweater. Going great. The adjustments are working nicely and I have started the diagonal line that goes along the collarbone to the collar. It looks wonderful. I am so SO glad I decided to grit my teeth, frog it, and do the yoke again, even though that meant hours of work undone. I count it towards hours of work learning how my knitting works so I avoid other potential problems. I even tried the sweater on Phil and it looks so good. The lines work much better this time around.
Have also started looking around for good knitting magazines and blogs. I read "Yarn Harlot" daily but I've had trouble finding another that I like to read. I don't want one that is political commentary under the guise of knitting how-to, I don't want to read about various misc. things (like where they find the best beer in their neighborhood, even though that would interest me otherwise) instead of knitting even though the blog title was knitting, just knitting and having fun knitting and other little entertaining tidbits. Any ideas?
As for magazines, I picked up "Interweave Knits" at Buckets of Noodles and am enjoying it. I think I'll pop into the LYS to see if she has any old editions, too. It's more the kind of knitting I enjoy. Tips, history on different things, and really nice patterns that look like something I would wear for years and enjoy. (By the way, Snakewoman, saw your sweater pattern in there. Fabulous. Hoping everything is going well, you sexy thing! :) )
As for life, it's calming somewhat, like Phil's sweater. Today was nutty but I was able to sit and knit for almost 2 hours while watching the fabulous Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. BBC, how do you do it so well?

1 comment:

Liz Shively said...

The sweater's going slowly but well so far. I'm nearly finished with the back. Hopefully by the time I see you next, I'll have it done--or nearly so.

I don't have any knitting blogs to recommend, but here's a site with lovely-looking patterns:

http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/

Lots of practice doing short rows! I downloaded one of their free patterns, a simple but elegant and fitted tank top. If that pattern proves reliable and manageable, I may order others from them. But I'm determined to finish the pullover first.