Monday, October 13, 2008

Self-patterning

Took a break from the f-i-l sweater this afternoon and knitted on my lone sock for a few rounds. It's funny how knitting on a different project can clear your head about the big project and give you enough rest to give it another go. Like walking in between running sprints (if you're into that knid of thing).
I've got to tell you about this sock. Sock Sis sent me one skein of 50g weight self-patterning yarn for my birthday last year and I, in all honesty, thought she was nuts. I had only just gotten into really liking knitting and not only does she just send me one little skein of something, it was WOOL. Sock Sis loves wool. I had a serious bias against wool at the time. Thankfully, Sock Sis also involved me in knitting a hat for her friend-who-likes-things-fluffy-and-orange that was made out of the loveliest merino wool possible and I was sold. Well, sold on wool that isn't scratchy. (I give it the kitty rub on my neck and inner wrist; any irritation usually shows up there)
Anyway, not only was this wool and I couldn't even think of what I could make with it, it was black, white, purple, orange, and dark pink. SuperGirl likes pink, but not with those other colors. I couldn't imagine liking anything with these colors. Time passed and I figured out it could be house socks (gasp at attempting socks, what I've read as the hardest thing for a knitter to do) but only ankle socks (there is only 50g) and with very small double points (my natural knitting style is rather loose). So I'm doing it. On #00 double points and loving every minute of it. I highly recommend self-patterning yarn because the way the colors end up striping themselves gives a little thrill, both because it's unexpected and looks nothing like the original skein!
Did work more on the f-i-l sweater this evening. Even got so far I tried it on Hubby. It's turning out rather nice and going quicker than I thought. Hesitant to say if it'll be done by this weekend. Here's to hope!

No comments: