Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Random Tasks

I'm back from lunch and thought I would write some random thoughts that I had made a mental note to include the next time I blogged but ... well, I didn't. Here they are:

I think robins are cute. Hubby taught me how to mow and while I was mowing there were robins popping over to check out the bugs I was stirring up. They were just taking care of business, knowing these people with their noisy grass cutters make easy work of unearthing the little buggers. (Hubby was doing all the edging and weed eating. I got to use the blower after finishing the backyard and that thing is harder to operate than it looks!)

While mowing the backyard I thanked God that I am a knitter; knitting has really helped me work through large expanses of boring rows or rowing boredom, however you want to put it. We have a backyard on the long side and it was fun to have thoughts like "how many squares can I mow instead of doing rows? Would Hubby like it if I did an octagon instead?" instead of "when will this @#$%ing thing be OVER?!?!"

Patience is certainly a virtue.

Sunday was not only Easter and fun time for the kids, but I actually got a quiet afternoon to build my herb garden. Mom and Dad brought a lot of bricks from their house (knocked off the back of their house when they added on in '93; they've been living in a pile at the back of their backyard with some young trees and two snakes, Mom told me) and I used them to build a 3x4 ft box in the backyard and filled it with the dirt I had dug out of the front bed a few weeks ago. The kids think the garden box is great, especially since you can stand on the little walls. We bought our herbs and they seem to like it too.

I'm finding the better I get, the more I want to stay outside. This weather is gorgeous! I'm even contemplating what it will take to dig up the brush on the side that I would love to borrow a herd of goats to eat it. I guess it'll just have to be me and my shovel. And Ph-i-l, Hubby, and the chainsaw. Darn. I love watching goats more.

No comments: