Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hold that tiger


Some progress has been being done, as you can see from above. LOLA's socks are happily done and I am very pleased to say that I have now grasped the slippery Kitchener Stitch (thanks to youtube.com and the Stitch Witch's example) and their toes are 3-needle bind-off free, smooth, and invisible. As in the stitches are invisible. You can still see the socks of course (hee hee). The picture of them is a better representation of their coloring. Thank you Hubby for your phone whose camera is utterly superior to mine.

The other sock is the beginnings of Hubby's long awaited LSU socks that I think I have put off long enough. I finally got the inspiration. It came in the form of "I better do this so he won't get mad when I make yet another pair of socks for someone who doesn't live in this house or contribute to anything we have of value." In other words, Thursday night at the knitting class I was straightening up the sock yarn when I came across the perfect coloring in a skein for the other lovely landman I work with sometimes (we'll call her Marilyn because she loves Marilyn Monroe) and I was so excited I asked her the next day if I could make her a pair of socks. That got her so excited (she also loves socks) I bought the yarn and knew Hubby's LSU socks needed to be made and on his feet before I attempted any other project. The LSU socks are actually coming along really fast. Knitting socks with worsted takes a lot less time than with the extra fine sock yarn (imagine that) and it's really nice to only have to knit 6 rows to get an inch instead of 10. Or 12. The thing just zooms together. And it fits so nice on Hubby's foot, too. I was showing Mom today at lunch and she was rather amused. She finished another pair of socks herself, only to find out they are part wool and she can't wear wool. She's wearing them anyway to see if she can handle it on her feet, plus to make sure her feet don't get too hot in them. Otherwise, hey Sock Sis, you got a great pair of self-patterned red/black colored socks coming your way.

No comments: