Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday's on the phone to me

Met with Ph-i-l about the little foster child that is our new project (delving into Clerk of Court records to find out who actually owns this land, etc., not an actual living, breathing human being even though it should be with how I've been baby-sitting it) and things are trucking along nicely, thus spending a little time to chat on the knitting work in progress:

The ClassWrap:
I am almost finished with the long, long block that is knitted separately and stitched to the side of the work-already-in-progress, i.e., the thing with the triangles fitted together and cleverly knitted using a short-row method and I hope that is what it is because I'm not entirely sure but it reminds me of short-rows. This was done while Hubby was enjoying the Texas-Ohio Buckeye Fiesta Bowl. He likes Colt McCoy (a Heisman runner-up which is a big award for college football players) who is a senior at Texas and apparently an all-round nice guy) and was thrilled when Texas pulled it off at the end. I was thrilled that I made it to my last middle triangle and so once I finish this one it's the right triangle to square everything off and I get to attach the whole thing to the main part of the wrap. It's going to be interesting how it's done; some is in the main color, some the contrast. I might throw some of the fuzzy yarn in if it needs it.

LOLA's Socks:
...are still not finished. In fact, not much has been done since I started the leg. The ClassWrap and some knitting magazines have been getting all my attention.

Which brings me to some contained excitement. I've been wanting to start cables and have been looking for a project for me that I can practice cables. I don't want another scarf or hat, so those aren't viable options. I would like some mittens but I don't think I want cables with them. So I just happened to pick up this magazine called Knit Forward and there is this gorgeous cardigan-like sweater. It has a swing-coat look to it in that it's not close fitted and only buttons at the bust area. The sleeves are generous and it has gorgeous cables going down the back and sleeves starting at the shoulder area. It looks like the perfect sweater for me in our climate because it can be a quick cover for cool day but layered for cold days. There is some beautifully dyed cotton yarn I've been drooling over for a month now at the knit shop and this would be so lovely in it. Perfect weight and I would change up the skeins as I knit down the garment so that there would be an amazing spectrum of color, main one being blue. I can't wait to plan it. After Hubby's LSU socks, of course.

2 comments:

Liz Shively said...

Yesterday a co-worker of mine told me she'd seen a gorgeous scarf at her church over the Christmas break. The scarf looked like a series of interlocking triangles. When she asked the scarf-wearer how it was made, the woman said, "Oh, it's simple--you just knit. It looks so good because of the variegated yarn." She sent my co-worker the pattern by mail. I had a look, and I'll bet it's the same thing as your long section of class wrap. You start by casting on one stitch, increase till you have a triangle, then start short-row work. The pattern calls for Noro Silk Garden. I plan to practice with variegated cotton yarn, to see if I've got the idea. Not sure if I'll actually make the scarf or simply show my co-worker how to do it--assuming I really can figure it out!

Quite a coincidence, if this is the same pattern you've been working on. Another coincidence: the scarf-wearer turned out to be my former boss from my old job. Cosmically significant? Maybe not--but still remarkable.

suzylee28 said...

That sounds very similar. It's funny you mention this because the yarn the ClassWrap pattern had recommended was Noro's Silk Garden or Kureyon. The scarf I was working on over Christmas was out of Silk Garden, too. The colors are gorgeous! It totally makes itself. Cotton is always fun, too. Let me know how it goes!