Sunday, December 21, 2008

Losing control

I knitted some today. I worked on LOLA's sock (she wants the leg 6" and will be working with us next week I found out all in a series of text messages) and I worked on the wrap. I finished the block I was working on with the half-linen stitch (by the way, that other block was criss-cross stitch, not cross-stitch stitch if I posted that wrong; I can't remember and I don't feel like looking while typing) and had to join it on it's bottom side (it was worked off the right side of the criss-cross stitch to complete the width needed to match the rest) to the other block sitting there with a 3 needle bind off. I like 3 needle bind offs. They come easy to me and I don't need a diagram to do it. No, I'm not making dirty references to the Kitchener Stitch, I'm just stating my personal preferences at the moment.

Anyway, the 3 needle bind off was supposed to be on the Right Side so that it made a nice little accent. It ended up on the wrong side (I did it late at night last night) and I didn't notice until I had woven in all my ends and was admiring my handiwork. Wereas it would have been nice to have that accent, I felt it was not worth it to tear everything out when it looked just fine as it was. No one would notice, or really care. I left it alone and I am proud of myself. Somewhere along my life journey I got it in my mind that things were only nice, straight, and wrinkle free when they are absolutely perfect, done right as the instructions said they would be, no problems, no chaos. Knitting has gently been teaching me in mini-lessons that no, life chooses where it wants to go and we ride it like waves; we can either struggle against it or have a thrilling ride. I've chosen the thrilling ride, even though the inner me still screams and kicks for perfection. Where it still wins at times, it's learning to adjust, adapt, let it go, and simply enjoy things for how they turn out on their own, not what I had in mind in the beginning. A good thing to keep in mind. Heck, I'm trying to raise kids here.

Today I also cleaned some, weeded some, dusted some, and coughed some. I discovered that my least favorite chores in the house aren't laundry and the floors, even though those hang over my head like gallows until I finish them. The least favorite are dusting and cleaning the bathroom and I know this because those two things NEVER get done. We have a bathroom that should have been remodeled ages ago (like 10 years before we moved in) so it has little cracks and crevices that never get clean and I just don't like dusting. Today, it was done. Yippee!! And the weeding was done in the sprinkling rain with the kids playing in the yard behind me. It was 70-something degrees outside. Carpe deim!

No comments: