Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Inchworm, inchworm

The last sock knitting class was yesterday. Can you imagine teaching how to knit socks in 3 2 hour sessions, the third of which I had Little Guy with me? Somehow it worked! One of the ladies showed up wearing hers and the other two turned their heel and were working on the foot by the time they left. Little Guy was wonderful also. He wandered around, played with the toys, wandered around somemore, talked to me, played with the toys, etc. I think he likes going to the knit shop because he gets all the chocolate he wants, too. Well, as much as a 16 month old should get.

Anyway, I contribute the success of the class to their perserverance and the internet. Isn't that always the way with teaching? You can show them the way but it takes them driving to get anywhere. They also have my number and email for the Kitchener Stitch, which, by the way, I found out I was doing right, just not keeping my yarn under the two double points as I went in and out of the stitch. Mom went through more of her books, found an even better explanation, and showed me. I'm halfway through the leg on Sock #2 so hopefully I'll be there to practice come the weekend. I also picked up a book on knitting socks toe-up so that'll be fun to work on. The knit shop lady is already talking to me about another class after the new year so we'll see how it goes!

Working on the pattern for Hubby's hat. Started knitting on it with both worsted weight yarns together on a #6 circular (to make it sock tight; he wanted structure and body) and got about 1.5" in the 2x2 ribbing before I showed him and we talked about where to go from there. He:
  1. liked the yarn but the hat itself wasn't soft enough (too thick)
  2. didn't want holes, so I'm going to go up to a #8 and see how that goes
  3. NO FRILLS, CABLES, ANYTHING THAT'S NOT "NORMAL" (bummer)
  4. liked the size but could be a little looser (his head is a snug 23" around)
  5. was ok with 2" of ribbing around the head, rest in stockinette but made sure, absolutely sure that it will fit close to his head. No bubbling up, looseness at the top. But it needs to fit really close and snug.

The yarn is a Bernat, 75% acrylic/25% wool, one skein dark gray, one skein brown. It has a nice cozy fuzzy feeling to it. This is one pattern I am going to post, simply because I can't be the only one with a guy that wants a hat but wants specific things. I'm going to have to measure his head as I knit up and this should be one amazing, custom-fit hat. Also, if I'm going to spend this much time on it, I'm posting that pattern. I've never come up with my own but I read that it's just measuring the body part in question, finding your gauge, and adjusting accordingly. Sounds so simple. So far, my gauge was 5 stitches= 2" (his head being 23-23.5" around) but I needed a number that was divisible by 4 for the 2x2 ribbing so I came up with casting on 60 stitches (better a little looser than way tight; especially for Hubby; he doesn't do tight at all which is a shame because of his wide shoulders and he works out. But I digress...)

We were talking about what to name it. He said "The Monk Hat" but I think "Donning the Monk" is catchier. I'll post it eventually. My projects at night have become a juggling act. They have all hit a boring time:

  1. the Purple Skrap still has 3" of stockinette on #3 needles to go and there are over 200 st. around. I decided to change the pattern even further (who do I think I am? oh yeah, a bored knitter or at least bored knitter with this project) and do 3" of seed stitch at the bottom, instead of the garter stitch it calls for for 1-2" (might be 3" but I don't think so; I think it was just there to keep it from curling too much)
  2. 2x2 ribbing on the Sock #2 mate which does go quicker than the first but still isn't as exciting as the heel.
  3. The Knitting Class Wrap has 14 more rows to go in seed stitch. I trade off colors every 2 rows.

Now that I've tossed the hat in there I just work some on each, waiting until I can't stand it anymore and trade off to another project. Eventually they'll get finished...

No comments: