Monday, November 10, 2008

Did you read the directions???

Well, I thought I had. I thought I had looked at everything for the "smiley scarf", thought "this is going to be a cinch", and was knitting rather nicely. I noticed there are approximately 20 rows, instructions for each row, and blocks of repeat stockinette after increases. I did not, however, read further to clarify when I noticed that some row numbers seemed to be missing during what seemed to be a large block of stockinette. I though "oh, typo" and continued knitting my 6-8 row block of stockinette. Then, on the last row of the stockinette I realized that wait a minute, that isn't row 19: increase after every 2nd stitch and row 20: do the same thing again, that is row 11: increase after every 2nd stitch, do 3 stockinette stitch rows, row 15: do the same thing, end with 3 stockinette stitch rows. Grumble, frog, grumble, grumble. Gripe, gripe, lament that my self-done hair-color treatment ALSO didn't turn out right (I'm not as dashingly blonde as I was, but I didn't think it would make me this brown. I was only trying to lighten my roots to hide the silvers, not turn it brown with an odd silver tinge on my bangs. Thank heavens dark coloring lightens over the next few days so maybe I'll hit a happy medium with darker blonde hair, not so obvious dark roots, and if there is gray in my bangs I'll say it was an attempt at artistic statement; I always said I'd age gracefully.)

You can't frog hair color gone wrong (and shaving isn't an option in conservative LA) so at least I CAN correct the smiley scarf and hopefully have it ready for the Knit Lady Tuesday. It shouldn't take too long. I'm glad because I'm not sure about the Noro that it's knitted in. The colors are lovely but it's a little itchy and feels rough. Anyone who isn't sensitive to wool and in a cooler climate wouldn't mind it at all but I value material by it's washability and feel; you have to when you take in account how much you sweat here and how few cold days there are. Debbie Bliss is another story. I would be willing to find things to knit in her wool and mark the cold days on my calendar so I can wear them. Or wear them with not much else on and sweat a little (last statement being said with good taste, no suggestion intended! :) )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey well I don't want to fool you into thinking that I read your blog. You know me and you know that kitting isn't exactly even close to being my thing. However, I do enjoy the things that I get like scarves and hats. Anyways, I don't expect that you'll enjoy my blog much either... but I created it. I don't know to add you or anything, so if you do then that would be great. Take care. - Adam