Monday, November 24, 2008

Eye of the storm


Here are some pictures of the wrap. Note the exciting ruffle. That thing was a booger to knit. It's a simple knit in the front and back of the stitch increase with another row of purl in the front and back increase (not recommended for anyone with less than infinite patience) to give the ruffle 3x as many stitches as you want. The fluffy yarn is soft but wanted to stick to itself so the knitting was a little aggravating. But I finished it and have moved on to the next few blocks. Notice the small black line that is developing in Picture 1; that will have lovely green glass beads knitted with the pattern. Mom and I found our beads digging through bead bins at the "String-a-Bead" store here. The salesperson was very helpful and dug in with us, literally. It was fun, complete with Little Guy finding all the beads that had fallen on the floor and bringing them to me, saying "Dat dat dat." SuperGirl found all the beads she wanted to keep and more. They will eventually make it to jewelry. I even have the elastic cord. As long as she has the patience with herself to string it.

I probably should have thought about the weight of the beads (like the pattern and all advice in beading with knitting says) but these are lovely and whereas I know they'll add a little weight, they are 17 in one small block, rest in another block on the other side of the wrap, so the weight will be dispersed somewhat. By golly, it's what this thing wants so it's going to get it.

Knitted 3.5" on my sock for the sock class and had enough. I was ready for the heel and that's where it needs to be for the second class tomorrow so I've stopped. Now to see if the students are there also... I doubt it. Ah, the joys of teaching. Waiting and teaching where your students actually are, not where they should be. At least now I don't have the stress of testing and possible grade retention looming over me. Only some slightly stressed middle-aged women who can put the needles down and knit something else if they really wanted to and I wouldn't blame them one bit. In teaching this sock class I've realized there are some neat projects that could be taught in order to prepare students for knitting socks. Like a small scarf in the round, joined at both ends by the Kitchener Stitch and they could do what they wanted with the fringe. This would get them at ease with the double-point knitting, plus practice the Kitchener Stitch, while experiencing the thrill of self-patterned/striping yarn. I'm not sure how to practice short rows; I learned because it was a step in a sweater pattern. I'll figure that out somehow...

I was able to help a girl learn how to pick up stitches on the sides of her sock heel and join everything in the round for the gusset ON THE PHONE. Was very excited, as in both of us. I wasn't sure if I could do it; somehow it came through. Now that I think of it, that was the step I got stuck on also and called Sock Sis and she talked me through it. Thanks bunches, Sock Sis. Inspire dozens more.

1 comment:

Liz Shively said...

I learned how to do short rows by doing the "Stupid Baby Bonnet" project in the back of _Knitting in Plain English_. Nice and easy, and much less time and money than a sweater. Of course, I still have your copy of the book... let me know if you'd like for me to mail it!...

I've finished front & back of my sweater and am working on the sleeves. Looking forward to making progress over Thanksgiving. But first, today: having my little darling students cook themselves a Thanksgiving feast, with the help of five parent volunteers. I'm off to take some Excedrin Migraine in preparation!