Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd

I have found a group of knitting books/reference materials that I think are extremely reliable: Interweave Press. I bought one of their books (unknowingly) called "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd who just happens to be the former managing editor of the magazine "Interweave Knits." I had also been looking at another book that I had noticed to be a part of the Interweave group which was one on crocheting clothes (almost bought it but did not; felt slightly panicky at reading crochet patterns; not that good yet and most of the patterns were for intermediate or higher but one day it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine; the clothes were lovely, simple, and things I could see myself wearing, including a fab mod long tunic coat/sweater; throw that with some boots, tight flared jeans and I could rule the world!) and I recognized that I had bought the Fall Interweave Knits magazine and loved it. I'm curious to see what other Interweave Press books I'll end up getting. The patterns seem well done, well-written and explained, plus they are things that are up-on-the-times without being too kitchy or mawmaw-ish.

Speaking of mawmaw-ish, I was also looking at a book on how to get started braiding rugs. I love braided rugs but the book made it seem so complicated. I would still love to do it but I would go for a simpler method than what the author illustrated. But that's not knitting, I don't need anymore crafty hobbies, and I digress...

About to get on the web and look up Amy Butler's stuff. She's caught my eye and I really like some of her colors and patterns...

Oh yes, I almost forgot. I was talking about the sock book, right? I'm really enjoying "Getting Started Knitting Socks," especially since I'm helping teach that class starting Tuesday. The book has great tips, explanations, and patterns. What I really like about the patterns are how she starts by giving basic sock patterns for whatever gauge it is you're working with (8 st.=1" through 4 st.=1") and then she leads you into color striping variations, rib pattern variations, and just some interesting things to consider once more experienced in knitting socks.

I started knitting the socks for the class in a Noro Kureyon sock yarn in order to try it out and see if it feels better knitted than in the skein. So far it's alright. The yarn is 1-ply and has to be dealt with more delicately than I'm used to (Little Guy found that out when he decided to eat it) and NO MACHINE WASHING. Hand washing, lay flat to dry in shady spot. I'm only an inch in the ribbing so we'll see how it goes. I'm knitting it on #1 Lantern Moon Sock Stix and they are HEAVENLY!!! [angels singing] $22 that will be used well. I'll enjoy seeing how many socks I can knit on them.

No comments: