Friday, November 14, 2008

one color or two?

Attempted to start the wine bottle scarves and hats. Decided that they must have been knitted on the little circular looms you can get because knitting only 3-4 stitches per needle was driving me a little batty and I'm not too far from there in the first place. Plus, that was still slightly too many stitches. Still going to forge ahead and see if there is any way I can make it work. Plus I think I'm going to buy a bottle of wine to use as a pattern dummy. And if the bottle ends up empty there will be more than one pattern dummy but a good time will be had getting there.

Talked to Mom about the wrap we are knitting for that class. She's been the Type A over-achiever student and gone ahead and finished Block 4 (there has only been one class and that was Block 1; I've only been slightly achieving and have finished through Block 2) and was showing me how her half-linen stitch was working out. She had to find a contrast color for it and looking at hers made me wonder if I needed one also. The pattern calls for it but I had been under the inclination to make this wrap all one color. I had also said I would do it EXACTLY like the pattern says to do it so I'm slightly torn. This one was going to be simple, elegant, one color to wrap in, one color to show off to all. Plus, one color would show the stitches without being a distraction. If I liked the pattern I was going to do another in a bright, varigated yarn with COLOR and TEXTURE and just have a good time knitting it and making adjustments where needed; that was where I was going to make my personal changes and have fun. I don't know... I'll check the available colors there (only one skein is needed) and see if any call to me.

No comments: