Friday, November 7, 2008

One hat day: "One Skein Wonders" edited by Judith Durant

Met again with the knit shop lady and she assigned 3 small projects for me to knit for her shop. They all are out of "One Skein Wonders" edited by Judith Durant. I had looked at the book during one of my many excursions to Buckets of Noodles and nothing had really caught my eye other than it had very pretty colors and I love very pretty colors. There are several books in the knit section I keep trying to pick up simply because of the very pretty colors on the covers even though I have no interest in or it's not my kind of content.

But I digress...

I think I like the book now. We were looking through it and the projects are small (well, they are one skein projects, aren't they?), fairly simple, and some of them would make downright cute gifts. The great thing is you can buy some of the more expensive yarn and keep your cost down because, again, you only need one skein. I made a women's hat that has an i-cord scallop-looking brim and it turned out lovely! It's in the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky so not only did it knit fast, it felt so good to knit! No itchy wool feeling at all. And the size was fairly true as long as you don't have a really big head or a lot of hair. I can't wait to see how the other 2 projects turn out.

This is great about knitting for a yarn shop. Not only am I working up credit, I can knit all these cute patterns (some of which I would never try but I could use the experience; I'm not one for old lady cowls but I could use the technique somewhere) and use all these decadent yarns (I love that word: decadent) and I don't have to find someone to give it to or wonder where I have to prostitute myself next (anyone need a house cleaned?) to pay for my habits. Happy, happy, joy, joy! However, I have not been able to get myself psyched to take on the patterns for the wine bottle scarves and hats. I'm just not that kind of person to decorate for the holidays with wine bottle hats and scarves. I am, however, the kind of person that does things like that for other people to make them happy and help them out so I just need to get over my personal preferences and think of the lovely cotton yarn in rainbow colors that will dance my way when I find the perfect pattern for it...

No comments: