Friday, November 28, 2008

Recent developments and some cuts





In the past 7 days I have done the following:
  1. Cut both thumbs in almost identical places: the fleshy part on the outside next to the nail (not on the side of the fingers) right where anything (hair, paper, YARN) will catch on it, making it bleed. Knitting has been a feat, especially since I've had to put band-aids on both thumbs and can't feel a thing I'm touching.
  2. Refrained from injuring certain guests here at Thanksgiving.
  3. Turned the heel of one of my sock class socks.
  4. Actually gotten for real paying work done.
  5. Did the beading on the wrap and have continued on to striping my colors with the seed stitch block.
  6. Did the beading on the wrap after frogging the first attempt at the beading block when I realized that I had started the block on the wrong side of the wrap. I paused to count stitches and realized I had WAY too many.
  7. Rested somewhat. This morning was the first morning in a long time I woke up in MY bed with Hubby, not one if the kids who woke up in the middle of the night.
The beading looks great. I love how the green bead turned out. I was going to do it where you pre-string all of them on the yarn and slide them into place when needed but the directions called for using a small, thin crochet hook to put them on the stitch itself, then knit the stitch. Whereas Mom's looked fine with the pre-threading, my yarn didn't because it was too classic-looking so I had to follow the pattern. See the pictures? I'm proud of myself.

The socks are turning out great, also. The Noro sock yarn is growing on me. I love the colors, even if the yarn can tend to twist around itself and be tighter in some places than others. The only thing that makes me hestitant to get some for myself is the care. It's minimal wash and lay flat to dry because it's one-ply (one strand twisted together). I'm so rough on my clothes the care almost always has to be machine wash, tumble dry low. I can do some hang to dry, lay flat to dry (that takes some creativity considering my house is on the small side and all beds and tables are used and there is only one bathroom that is ALWAYS being used), but can't afford (don't like environmental issues) dry-cleaning and I just like things low-maintenance along with a low possibility that someone else doing the wash is going to ruin my clothes.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one. We've bathed the kids and are discussing the finer points of "Star Wars." And are going to dance to "Charlie and Lola." And then I'm going to knit all evening. Bliss.

No comments: